Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Preschool Beginnings

I realize I've been MIA for about....a long time :) I decided to start blogging again to help me keep up with our family! I have such a terrible memory and I love being able to look back and read what I was thinking at the time of some big event. For now, I'm just going to start in the present time and if I ever find the time I will backtrack to get caught up with our life.

Tanner and I have recently started discussing what schooling we want for A when she gets that age - which I know is still a few years away, but will be here in the blink of an eye. I am thinking I would really love to homeschool because we have some amazing groups around this area. But that would mean I wouldn't be able to work...kind of a big deal financially. Anyways, for now, I have decided to do our own little homeschool preschool. She goes to "preschool" at the church in the mornings, and I know they are awesome, but being the teacher minded SLP that I am, I can't resist doing something at home, too. :) I am all about the idea of intentional play and know that her little brain is capable of learning sooo much right now. and that brings us to the topic of this post: our first week of homeschool preschool!

I am starting off with doing colors. It just seemed like an easy place to start and come up with activities. For week 1, we did the color RED. I started by gathering all of A's red toys and putting them on her shelves in the playroom.
The small basket is holding lacing beads and red sorting animals; the bottom shelf has any books about colors/red that we had in our bookshelf; the red construction paper is for putting red things on (a precursor to sorting multiple colors)
all of her random red toys
                         

Then, I introduced the color/word to her by a coloring activity: (sorry, the picture is sideways and I'm not smart enough to figure out how to change it)

Throughout the week, we did several "art" activities:
coloring things that are red

painting a watercolor ladybug
                                                     
  Activities not pictured: slicing an apple in half and using it like a sponge to paint apples, I made a red beanbag to play with, we filled the tub every night with red toys (doesn't have to be bath toys - just anything that won't ruin if it gets wet)

We also dressed in red, whenever we could - which was like once, ha. I realized that red must not be our color because none of us have very many red clothes!

We also *attempted* to make red play dough:
*note - when a recipe calls for cream of tartar...there's a reason*

Other than our planned activities, we just really tried to emphasize anytime we saw something red - outside, at the store, in a book, etc. Speaking of books, we also went to the library and checked out books about "red." Apparently red isn't the library's color of choice, either, because we ended up with random ones about tractors, barns, etc. Anything that was red, we got it.  I also made up silly songs while we were playing with her red toys. The one she liked best was to the tune of Frère Jacques
I see a red block, I see a red block
there is it, there it is.
Look at that red block! look at that red block!
It is red, it is red.

All in all, I think our first color was a success.  I "tested" her at the end of the week by presenting her with two different colors of something and asked her to give me the red one.  She still won't say "red" but she will sometimes do the sign for it.  I tried not to get discouraged because I know that just because she won't say something doesn't mean she doesn't know it.  She has a vocabulary of like 50 words, but of course never says them when I want her to! Quite frustrating for this speech path. =) We have now moved on to Blue - it was extremely hard for me not to go in order of the rainbow and do orange next, but I was afraid it wouldn't be enough of a contrast in colors for her to grasp just yet.  Hopefully, I can keep up with the blog so I can have something to look back on if we ever have another kid and need some inspiration =) 


No comments:

Post a Comment