Thursday, January 13, 2011

Run Forrest Run!


Recently, I decided that I want to train for a half-marathon. Go ahead…laugh…I know you want to.  I’ve always thought it would be fun to participate in some sort of race – my body tends to disagree with me, however, when I actually get around to running in the afternoons.  I’m pretty positive I have the knees of a 92 year old due to participating in pretty much every sport available when I was growing up, but I decided I am going to suck it up and actually do it. A friend told me about this website www.marathonrookie.com where it tells you all about what you need to do to become a marathon runner. I’m starting off with the half-marathon training and if I can survive that I MIGHT do the full marathon training. I’m loving this website because it gives you a schedule to follow, which I’m all about. I was able to write in my planner how many miles to run on what days (I even put it red ink so it will stand out and hopefully motivate me!) I’m the type of person that if it’s in my planner, I’ve GOT to get it done so I can mark it off (I love checking things off of a list ;D – you can add that to my love of math that makes me a total dork). So I’m hoping that this method will prove to be more successful than the “I need to run today but ….” method that I’ve been following lately. I also like the schedule that it gives because you aren’t running every day…you run short distances 3 days a week (Monday, Wednesday and Thursday) then a longer distance on Saturday.  This is what hooked me because I have to fit it in between getting home from work and cooking supper – which isn’t long enough for long distances. I am also a fan of the days off to recuperate! Tanner SAYS he’s not much of a runner (but he’s better than me) so I’m not sure if I can get him to join me in my endeavor but hopefully he’ll come around. =) I’m starting the schedule next Monday so if anyone wants to join in here’s the link to it… http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.html. I’ll keep you posted on progress…that is, if I’m still alive after the first week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment